As circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic continue to evolve, Penn State’s focus remains on the health and well-being of the Penn State and surrounding communities. On November 17, 2020, Pennsylvania Governor Wolf announced four new mitigation efforts:
- Protecting Our Healthcare System in the event a hospital becomes overwhelmed during the pandemic.
- Traveler Testing of those traveling to Pennsylvania from other states, which excludes work-related travel.
- Strengthened Masking Order with additional inclusions on when and where masks should be worn.
- Colleges and Universities with recommendations that Institutions of Higher Education implement testing strategies for students when they return to campus.
The University’s current research plans for Sustaining Safe, Research-Related Activities during the COVID-19 Pandemic embrace the principles in the Governor’s order.
Free walk-up testing for students and employees is available at the Hintz Family Alumni Center from November 30 to January 18, noon-5:00 p.m.
Resources for COVID-19 Investigations
Use the links below to access funding opportunities and free services available to researchers conducting investigations into the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.
If you know of an opportunity or service not listed on this page that you would like to share with the Penn State computational research community, email a link to Liam Jackson, ICDS communications manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICDS and Roar Computing Support
ICDS will collaborate with Penn State researchers to prioritize any computational research that is investigating COVID-19.
Assistance acquiring compute resources on major, external systems
ICDS has XSEDE campus champions who can help researchers identify a suitable platform and help write proposals to acquire needed XSEDE computational resources. Contact Chuck Pavloski at email@example.com to learn more.
- NSF: RAPID grant announcement
- NIH: Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) regarding the Availability of Urgent Competitive Revisions for Research on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institute of General Medical Sciences)
- NIH: Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Availability of Administrative Supplements and Revision Supplements on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- NIH: Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) regarding the Availability of Administrative Supplements and Urgent Competitive Revisions for Research on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Merck: Investigator Studies Program – Focuse areas include Virology/Immunology, Host Immunology, Primary Epidemiology, and Secondary Impact
External Compute Resources for COVID-19 Research
- COVID-19 HPC Consortium, a private/government/academic partnership that seeks to expedite applications for advanced computing research to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Microsoft AI for Health COVID-19 grants
- Intel Pandemic Response – Intel pledges $50 million with pandemic response technology initiative to combat coronavirus
- NVIDIA Parabricks resources
- D-Wave Leap – Quantum Computing Resources and Support
- AWS Diagnostic Development Initiative
- Google Cloud Platform Credits
Free Research Services Related to COVID-19 Investigations
- List of publisher services for COVID-19 research
- Globus (data transfer)
- Tableau (data sets and visualization tools)
- Scraping Hub (web scraping/data mining tools)
Additional COVID-19 Research Information
- NIH: Information for COVID-19 Applicants and Recipients of Funding
- NSF: Information on Coronavirus Research
Penn State COVID-19 Information and Announcements
- Updates on Gradually Increasing On-Campus Research-Related Activities at Penn State
- General Assembly Maintains Penn State’s Funding Levels for 2020-21 Fiscal Year
- Students and Visitors Urged to Continue Physical Distancing, Avoid Groups
- Guidance for Reporting COVID-19 Cases and Working on Campus
- Return to Work Information for the Penn State community
- COVID-19 Testing and Screening
- Feed of all Penn State News Stories Tagged with COVID-19