We’ve gone virtual!
Our virtual event will take place on Wednesday, October 21, and Thursday October 22.
The Data Deluge: Opportunities and Challenges
The rate at which data are being generated greatly exceeds our ability to analyze them. These developments are quickly leading toward a data-rich but knowledge-poor environment.
New challenges arise from this unprecedented access to the massive volume of both structured and unstructured data, which in many instances makes traditional algorithms impractical, ineffective, or inapplicable. Therefore, specialized algorithms are needed to address these scientific and computational challenges to provide innovative and effective solutions to analyze these large, often multi-modal, spatiotemporal datasets generated by high-resolution sensors or computational models.
The ICDS 2020 Symposium — The Data Deluge: Opportunities and Challenges — will connect researchers from Penn State and beyond around topics and tools for data management and manipulation, data analytics, data visualization, data integrity, and related topics. By fostering discussions around these issues, ICDS plans to both advance science using interdisciplinary approaches and increase the societal impact of Penn State research.
Refer to the Symposium agenda for full details.
2 keynote speakers:
- Shantenu Jha, Chair, Computation and Data Driven Discovery (C3D) Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Chaitan Baru, Senior Science Advisor, Convergence Accelerator, Office of the Director, National Science Foundation
4 panel discussions. Topics include:
- Data & Genetics/DNA: Value, Ethics, and Risks
- AI and Smart Manufacturing
- Big Data, Agriculture & Food Supply
- Social Engineering with Data: Disinformation & Destabilization of Geo-Political Order
Poster session with 2 cash prizes for students ($500 and $200)
Registration will open for the rescheduled event in late July
Please contact Suzy Unger at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the ICDS Symposium.
ICDS Symposium Sponsors