Poster and Presentation Formats
Poster PDF specifications: 48 inches x 36 inches or 36 inches x 48 inches. You may design this in any application you would like, but please make sure you submit a PDF of the final design. If you are new to this, we suggest using Microsoft PowerPoint. Note that you will need to manually change the size of your slides; refer to Microsoft’s instructions for more information.
- Any graduate or undergraduate student may submit a research poster, regardless of your program of study.
- The research should have significant data science or computational science component to be considered; researchers from many disciplines — social sciences, basic and applied sciences, engineering, business, education, and others — use data science or computational science and would be eligible to submit a poster.
- Note: Your research does NOT have to fit in with the theme of the Symposium.
Faculty may submit posters but won’t be eligible for poster judging or prizes.
On Wednesday, October 12, students will give a traditional poster presentation. The top ten students, based on judges’ evaluations, will be invited back the following day (October 13) to give lightning talks at the Symposium.
How to Submit a Poster
If you would like to submit a poster, you must:
- Submit a poster using our Qualtrics form by September 23 (applications are no longer being accepted)
- Register for the ICDS Symposium. Note that there is currently a wait list for grad student/postdoc tickets. Anyone who has research accepted for the poster session will be automatically be granted admission to the Symposium. Please add your name to the wait list if you plan to submit a poster.
Two students will receive cash prizes at this year’s Symposium:
- $500 – Best overall poster
- $200 – Best lightning talk
Collecting Your Poster
Posters can be picked up after 5:30 p.m. on October 13 at the Symposium. If you are unable to pick up your poster, you may email Patrick Dudas (firstname.lastname@example.org) to coordinate an alternate pickup time.
Dates and Deadlines
- Monday, August 15 – Submission period opens
- Friday, September 23 – Submissions due
- Wednesday, October 12 – Students will present their posters at the ICDS Symposium evening social to be judged
- Thursday, October 13 – Top 10 submissions will asked to present a 2-minute lightning talk at 3:30 at the Symposium
- Friday, October 14 – Winners will be announced at the ICDS Symposium